Friday, May 18, 2007

That was Just a Dream

Did I ever really leave home for such a long time, half of my life?

Right before I move back, closer to my place of origin, this tree I know, of familiar times and places goes all southern on me. The Crape Myrtle is about to go off.















I can feel the Spanish Moss in this scene. I have always been able to, even though it was not there. Something about the light quality in this corner of the garden always left a hazy grey impression. Tree tops touched and mingled. They created dappled light and a miniature forest. I could feel my grandmothers garden presence here.

In this line of small trees that created my main garden room and sheltered me from the house above were other trees with southern roots. Ilex x attenuata 'East Palatka' and Koelreuteria bipinnata mingled with Manila Palms, Avocado and the one and only Buttercup Tree.















Tucked in at their feet in a path through this dividing forest wall, a fluffy patch of shrimp plant let me be a kid again when I stopped to suck the honey from the fresh blossoms.















My first deep pink Zephyr Lily of the warming days showed up this morning. The clouds have only pretended they might build up the strength to produce an afternoon mauka shower. I still have thousands of these bulbs that must find good homes. One slight spritz could set them off in unison. That would be a sight to savor before I go.
















That's me in the garden
Choosing who should live
And who should die

Every whisper
Taking me places
I have lived before

That was just a dream
Just a Dream.

5 comments:

Annie in Austin said...

The Buttercup Tree will be a dream, Christopher, but other Crepe Myrtles will be there when you're awake, and maybe Koelreuteria paniculata, and Shrimp plants with winter protection, and Rhododendrons. All on your land.

When I'm in Texas, Illinois seems like a dream; when I'm in Illinois, Texas seems like a work of fiction. But we moved away, while you're moving towards your history, your heritage and your people. Quite a different thing.

This is pretty nosy, but do you have an accent? Or one that's been lost but may reappear?

Annie

Christopher C. NC said...

I don't think I ever had much of an accent. There was too much Yankee and recent immigrant mid-western blood (Kansas, Nebraska and Scotland)in my first generation Floridian parents. I do have a southern vocabulary that I can turn on and that can slip out now and again.

Unknown said...

How delightful... and what an appropriate send-off as you prepare to go. :)

Cheryl said...

The place where you grew up is always a part of you. After living in North Carolina for a few years, I was in a waiting room with a French woman talking to her child. It felt so good to hear that accent.

Traveling through West Texas was an odd experience. It was so open and empty, and we felt so exposed. Coming back, it was a relief to be surrounded by green again once we got past Dallas.

Anonymous said...

I suppose it is almost that time.

Adventure ahead!

Never look back.