Thursday, March 15, 2007

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day

Carol at May Dreams Gardens encourages garden bloggers to post what is blooming in their gardens on the 15th of each month. This is my first time to participate. All the bloggers leave a comment on her Bloom Day post as a gathering point from which to wander the world to see what is blooming.



















Jasminum multiflorum, Downy Jasmine is a rambling shrub with vine like tendencies.















Pachystachys lutea, Yellow Shrimp Plant. This may be cheating since this is in bloom almost 365 days a year.

















The long stemmed yellow rose I cut back on February 8th is loaded with buds and has one open flower. It may still have a tag with its official name but I don't really care.














Petrea volubilis, Sandpaper Vine is a sporadic bloomer for me. I have never given it a fair shot planted in the ground in full sun. It has remained as a potted plant in a crowded nursery. The purplish blue of the flower spikes is very captivating when it does put on a few blooms.






















Springtime in Hawaii. The more seasonal heliconias begin to put on a show. This is Heliconia wagneriana.

These are just a few of the things blooming in my garden on March the 15th 2007.

7 comments:

Carol Michel said...

Thanks for participating! I love the flowers you've chosen to show us and assume that you chose just a few as it would take too long to show us everything. Because we all assume Hawaii is flowers, flowers, flowers, all year round.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

How wonderful to see all these exotic flowers in bloom. You've got roses in flower already? I'll have to wait at least another two months for that.

But we have 1 plant in common, the Jasmine. It's flowering with me too, although in my conservatory. ;-)

Have you seen my contribution to Bloom day? Very different from yours.

Annie in Austin said...

Hi Christopher,
It's cool to see what a thriving Yellow shrimp plant looks like [mine looks like a dead stick.] I had a feeling it would be pretty intensive in bloom, but no idea it was non-stop in a tropical climate.

La Gringa has a colorful Heliconia in her bloom day, too - they look like giant psychadelic[?] wheat stalks.

You don't have the Buttercup Tree pictured - is it done for the season?

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Christopher C. NC said...

Yes these are just a few of the things blooming on any given day in my garden. Plant species can have seasons here, but something is always in bloom.

Roses will bloom year round. A hard pruning always generates a fresh flush of growth and flowers.

My Buttercup Tree is winding down. I have blogged that enough don't you think?

chuck b. said...

I am most loving the Petrea volubilis.

Alas, Sunset says it grows well in zone 19, but not 17. Hmm... please tell me more of this "sandpapery [leaf] surface".

Christopher C. NC said...

Sandpapery is a very accurate description.

It is a twining vine with simple opposite dark green leaves. The mature leaves are quite stiff and don't bend or flex much. The leaf margin can cut you like some grasses when hit just right.

It is a lot like a tropical Wysteria.

I am no sandpaper expert so I can't give you a grade number. It is a very coarse and rough texture, not a fine grained feel.

I'll take some more pictures tomorrow if there is anything left. A cloud got stuck over my house today and dumped major rain for two hours.

chuck b. said...

What an odd juxtaposition of coarse textural qualities for a plant with such a pretty, delicate-looking flower!