Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Iao Ho'ihi or Kapu

Respect or Keep Out?

Iao Valley and Iao aquifer are one of the main sources of the bulk of Maui's water supply. Iao Valley is also a state park and place of cultural significance.


The valley walls on one side as you enter.


















This small round stone is wrapped in a Ti leaf and placed on a pile of stacked rocks at the base of a large boulder. Is this an offering to the spirit guardians of the valley or perhaps a warning to those who stray off the trail and enter deeper into the valley? Either way, to those observant enough to see this offering, you are put on notice that something is going on here in this jungle valley.



















The Forest untended.


















Stone and rock become sponge and slowly release the life giving waters of Maui.


















A precious commodity and valuable resource that the County of Maui and Wailuku Agribusiness, recently renamed Wailuku Water Company, have begun to negotiate over. Wailuku Water Company wants money for the water that falls from the sky and runs across their land.






















The Forest closes in and guards the secrets it keeps.

6 comments:

christin m p in massachusetts said...

Chris, can I get your permission to use a couple of your photographs to make prints for the walls in one of my rooms (I promise I won't mass-produce them and sell them on eBay or anything)? I'm not sure how to do it, though. Would I be able to use a scanner, and then have them enlarged at Kinko's?

Christopher C. NC said...

Yes Christina you may copy some of the photo's for your own use. I wouldn't be the best person to ask how to do that either. There has to be a number of different ways to do that and a number of different ways to get the best quality. I am still very new to all of this myself. Someone else would know way more than me about the best way to get a copy to frame for the wall.

deb said...

Hey Christin and Christopher, I've been out of town since Thurs., and just checked the blogs...I noticed that you left me a question at Breadcrusts Chrisitn...I don't have any info in my back pocket about those candidates, but will do some research when I get a chance.

My daughter's graduation was Sat. in Nashville, she recieved her MA in English.

Christopher, I always read your blog. I find peace from "this crazy world we live in" here. Your blog is beautiful with stories that allow me to spend a while in your world. Thank you.

christin m p in massachusetts said...

Hi Deb :)
That's why I keep coming here too.

whistlestop caboose said...

photos: you need a much larger original than the one here - I downloaded it to check the size, and it would need to be much larger. Great photos, but to get poster sizes the original needs to be huge in pixels, which means a camera that can do it, on the highest setting, then very sharply focused. Enlarge these and you just get pixelated muddle, a shame!

Christopher C. NC said...

I actually started working on my camera skills today. As a newbie I found getting pictures that were small enough for e-mail and the web was easier with the camera on the lowest pixel setting. The higher setting made pictures that you had to scroll all over creation and took forever to send or receive.

I am now using the higher pixel setting on my camera and am going to try cropping for the plant pictures I take for gardening forums and the "Save as" function for the larger pictures which seems to shrink them to a manageable size.

We'll see what happens.