Sunday, March 26, 2006

Hike into Haleakala Crater

(Click on any image for a larger view.)

Entering the crater from Sliding Sands Trail.
















A row of the multi-colored cinder cones that rise from the crater floor.
















Martian Memories or the Silversword, Argyroxiphium sandwicense.




















Crossing the crater floor and headed to the other side. This is looking back from where we came once we reached the crater floor at the base of the crater wall.
















The meadow above our crater cabin accommodations.

















A friend waiting for us at the cabin. Nene the goose.




















Part of the Posse.















Looking back on the lovely green valley before the ascent.
















That would be me.















That's all for now folks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are amazing shots of the Crater, Christopher. I have been feeling it calling me for a couple of months and planned on spending my birthday on Wednesday in hot pursuit. These gorgeous and wooing shots, cinch the deal! Thanks for your talent and generosity, MB

Christina said...

Hi Christopher,
This is Christina from Massachusetts -- from the breadcrusts blog
I checked out the pictures from your hike into Haleakala Crater -- looks like a lot of fun. Hiking is one of my favorite activities, although I have precious little time to do it these days. I only had a couple of months to slack off (not completely, since I was still working part-time, plus I had to keep up with my job search), but I was called back to work full-time on the overnight shift. It goes from Monday night to Saturday morning, which is good because I'd rather have Sunday night off than Friday night.

I just wanted to tell you, you look like you could be a twin to my very good friend James. Your personality is a lot like his too -- at least the way you come across on line. Like you, he's really easy-going and kind. I also wanted to tell you that I have really enjoyed your short stories -- they draw me right in. Have you ever been published?

Your idea for an election channel and election web site is excellent, since without something like that it will continue to be very difficult to get our government to accomplish much of benefit to any of us. Am I just being naive, or is there a way that an average person might be able to get something like that started? I also agree very strongly with your views on our present-day economic systems, which I think have been severely twisted by human weakness. And being that I'm terrified of weapons and I can't understand why war has ever even existed, I naturally agree that there needs to be worldwide regulation of weapons manufacturers.

Here is one of my email addresses (I have different ones for personal use, job search, general business...)in case you'd ever want to send me an email:
daysleepsanctuary@yahoo.com
I'd be very happy to hear from you.
-Christina

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the picture of the silverthornes. I love going to Mars. Aparina